Our mission is to empower science teachers to advocate for excellence in science teaching and learning.
This year STOM would like to recognize excellence! We are now accepting nominations for the following awards.
1. STOM Excellence in K-12 Science Teaching Award: STOM will award exemplary K-12 science teaching (multiple awards will be given in the PK-5 and 6-12 grade spans).
2. Pre-Service/New Teacher Award: STOM will award this to a pre-service/new teacher who demonstrates potential for exemplary K-12 science teaching at the beginning of their career.
3. Robin Kyles Trailblazer Award: STOM will award this to someone who promotes a love of science for all by working with diverse (socio-economic, cultural, academic, etc.) and under-resourced populations.
Robin was the educator that reminds us that each teacher is meant to have a massive impact. At their core, children are not meant to be common- they were born to be meteorites, darting across space and time, leaving their mark as they crash into everything. You might see a crater, but Robin would remind you that the crater means something amazing happened right there; an enduring impact that shook the whole world.
Just as Donovan Livingston once said, Robin knew that injustice is telling students they are stars without acknowledging the night that surrounds them. She knew that high expectations are the answer. Teachers who have higher expectations influence students to perform better. This has the potential to begin a domino effect that touches many areas of their lives and ultimately helps them to achieve their purpose.
4. Technology Innovator Award: STOM will award this to a teacher who is able to step up and create student success in virtual learning.
5. Champions of Science Award: STOM will award this to an individual, a business, or an organization that promotes/supports science education.
We will accept nominations here through September 17, 2021.
NSTA offers awards that provide teachers with money for their classrooms and that help defray costs to attend the NSTA National Conference. Check them out by clicking HERE.